You know what I love?
A month or two ago a friend of mine living in Sicily told me about this pasta sauce made with the delicious little nuts. Since then I’ve made it a few times so I thought I’d share.
You start by removing the pistachios from their shells and grinding them in a food processor. You want to get them fairly fine, but with a few larger pieces here and there.
You’ll need 1/4 cup ground pistachio for the sauce and a bit more to sprinkle on top afterwards.
This would be a good point to start some water boiling for the pasta. I won’t tell you how to boil the pasta, though. I’m sure you can figure that part out. :]
Next, finely chop up 1/2 cup of onion. Over low heat, sweat them with 2 Tbsp olive oil until they are soft and translucent. Once the onions are done, add the 1/4 cup ground pistachios to the pan.
Once the onions and pistachios are stirred together, you may notice that it is a bit dry. Just add a bit more olive oil until it forms a paste. Now increase the heat to med-low and add 1/2 cup of heavy cream. Stir this for about 1 minute until it thickens up and remove the pan from the heat. Add a pinch of salt and a few turns of ground pepper, and you’re done!
Spoon a bit of the sauce onto your pasta of choice and sprinkle a bit of the extra pistachio on top. There you have it, an authentic Sicilian dish. Simple, yet delicious!
Sicilian Pistachio Sauce
- 1/3 cup ground pistachios
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- salt and ground pepper to taste
- Over low heat, sweat onions in olive oil till soft and translucent.
- Add 1/4 cup ground pistachio and enough olive oil to make a paste.
- Increase heat to mid-low and add 1/2 cup heavy cream. Stir for 1 minute till sauce thickens. Remove from heat.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon sauce over pasta and sprinkle with remaining ground pistachio.