Want something to do with all the zucchini piling up everywhere? Make a pizza! I made a pizza on a whole wheat crust with layers of homemade cheese, mozzarella, and sliced zucchini.
The zucchini was given to me by my brother who keeps a productive little home garden.
Those were washed and put aside while I prepared the dough. I emptied a packet of yeast into 1 1/2 cup warm water with 1 tsp sugar stirred in and let it sit for 10 – 15 minutes while it foamed up. In the KitchenAid bowl I combined 2 cups whole wheat flour, 1 cup all purpose flour and 1 tsp salt. Once the yeast was ready I poured it and 2 Tbsp olive oil into the flour and set the mixer to work with a bread hook.
The dough was turned out onto the counter and about 1/4 cup of flour was kneaded in. My standard practice for letting dough rise is to divide it into smaller pieces and drench them in olive oil.
I covered the bowl with a cloth and let the dough rise for about an hour. Afterwards I turned it back onto the counter to knead it a bit more flour so it wouldn’t be too oily. I stretched the dough out and fit it into a greased baking pan.
I had made made some cheese a few weeks earlier and though this would be a good use of it. It’s a bit hard to describe the cheese I used. I was attempting to make a mozzarella but used the wrong type of rennet, so it ended up a bit like goat cheese.
If you were to try to duplicate this recipe I would tell you to use goat cheese. It can be a bit expensive so you could use ricotta instead, but I can’t promise it’d be as good. :] Anyways, I spread the cheese evenly over the crust.
The zucchini was sliced up nice and thin, laid out on top of the cheese and topped with a sprinkling of mozzarella. I used the larger zucchini I had and a single layer used up only half of it. The solution? Another layer of zucchini and mozzarella!
A couple turns of fresh ground pepper were added and the pizza was put in the oven. I baked it at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes, until I saw the cheese on top starting to brown.
And there you have it, a zucchini pizza! And boy was this thing delicious. It actually reminded me of a pasta dish I make with goat cheese and cucumber. I’ll have to post that sometime.
Zucchini Pizza On Whole Wheat Crust
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups goat cheese (or ricotta)
- 1/2 cup grated mozzarella
- ground pepper to taste
- Add sugar and yeast to warm water and let sit for 10 – 15 minutes, till foam appears.
- Combine whole wheat flour, 1 cup all purpose flour, and salt. Once yeast is ready add it to the flour and mix together. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface and knead 1/4 flour into dough by hand.
- Divide dough into four pieces and place in a bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and coat completely. Cover with a towel and let rise for 1 hour.
- Stretch dough out and place in a lightly greased baking pan.
- Spread goat cheese or ricotta evenly over dough. Top with a layer of sliced zucchini, half the mozzarella, another layer of zucchini, the rest of the mozzarella, and ground pepper.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15 – 20 minutes till cheese begins to brown.